Monday, February 7, 2011

A Collection of Wednesdays, Amy Gaither-Hayes

I would like to start by saying this is a wonderful book. However, I was truly expecting something a little different. It is filled with the thoughts of everyday life and God's impact. It also has very beautiful poetry. The book is very well written, it is divided into 14 sections, each section has an essay and a poem that follows the same theme. I enjoyed reading it since I enjoy poetry. I think it would be well-used for memory work in home school literature classes. Also it is organized in such a way that it would be easy to pick it up at anytime and find a fitting reading selection for the season a person is in at that time. The faith of the author is clearly displayed throughout her writing. I did find some of the essays a little long and more like journal entries about life. Many of them lacked the effect of stirring my soul or exciting me in my own christian walk. In christian essays I prefer topics that teach some sort of lesson in faith rather than a run down of choosing a name for your next speech or topic. However, all in all, I would recommend this book.

Thank you Zondervan for this review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment