Sunday, April 10, 2011

Over the Edge, Brandilyn Collins

Shortly after receiving this book in the mail I was at Burger King with my children on the Arkansas side of Texarkana. There in the parking lot was a small blue car with the entire bumper and lower part of the back window covered with bumper stickers that read "Lyme is alive and well in Arkansas". To be honest until receiving this book for review I had not given much thought to this disease. Then as I read this book a classmate of my husband was diagnosed with this very thing. How odd that God works things out in such a way to make us aware of something like this.

This book is very well written. From the first page the reader is drawn into the story with a full range of emotions. I found this book to be a little stressful simply because of the tensions within it. I felt so bad for the main character and within the first few pages developed a deep dislike for her husband. It seems so very terrible that this man would treat his own wife with such disinterest. In fact I found myself really wanting to put the book down because of this one character, if I didn't want so badly to see what happened to Jannie. Never before had I given much thought to Lyme Disease, but after reading this I have a new sympathy for those suffering from this and a new desire not to take my children for any more hikes in the Arkansas mountains!

Brandilyn Collins has expertly written a suspenseful drama that will leave readers on the edge of their seats. This one is certainly a page turner and is difficult to put down. I read it in one setting (shamefully staying up way past my bedtime) in order to finish it. A special thanks to the author for tackling a book that will no doubt bring awareness to many about a topic that needs to be seen.

Thank you B&H for this review copy.

1 comment:

  1. Abbie, thanks so much for your honest review. Blessings to you! ~ Brandilyn

    ReplyDelete