Sunday, October 23, 2011

I am in Here, Elizabeth M. Bonker & Virginia G. Breen

Autism - the diagnosis no mother wants to hear for her child. Yet this very diagnosis has been on the rise more over the past years as people are learning more about it. I have been around children with autism, known parents with autistic children of varying levels. I haven't ever fully understood the dynamics or impact of this diagnosis or the impact on a person's life.

This book is one that moves a person to a deeper understanding and compassion for those suffering from autism. I can not imagine living my life in this type of personal prison. Though Elizabeth has never spoken she has found her voice in the written word - and with that voice she has informed this generation of the struggle of autism in a heroic way just as Helen Keller did for deaf and blind of her age.

I believe that this could be a great resource for those with autism as well as those raising an autistic child or those wishing to learn more about autism.

I found myself troubled in my heart at my misunderstanding of these kids. I believe that this book should find itself on the must read list for public school workers who work with children with special needs. If they understood in depth how these children operate and what they truly feel like I believe compassion would begin to override some of their decisions and directions in the education of such children. Workers might find a little more patience with these children if they understood the frustration they feel is also felt by the children who desperately want a normal life and control over their body and actions.

Absolutely inspiring, mind opening and heartbreaking. A book that will take you to all extremes of emotion as you begin to understand these children.

Thank you Revell for the opportunity to review this book.

Available October 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group

No comments:

Post a Comment