Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Disciplines of a Godly Young Man, R. Kent Hughes

Okay, I will start out by saying I am a mom of 3 young boys (8, 4 and 4 months - really young boys)so I was excited to receive this book from Crossway as a review copy. Now I would like to go purchase the others in the series! I absolutely loved this book! I had to refrain from continuing to type excerpts on my Facebook page because so much of this book is quote worthy and easily applicable to the lives of children today. This author team has done an exceptional job of compiling information that is scriptural in such a way that young boys or teenage boys can read and understand and relate without feeling preached to. Each Chapter introduces a new discipline: Purity, Friendships,Mind I, Mind II, Devotion, Prayer, Tongue, Work, Perserverance, Church, Giving, Witness, Ministry, Grace. It ends with food for thought and reflection. The depth in which they cover each discipline is amazing considering that this really is a small book. One would think it would be filled with water-down or diluted information, However, it is crammed with some really heavy truths presented in a very teachable way. I think it would be easily adaptable as a father and son (or mother/son) study. This type of book opens the communication airways so that teens would be encouraged to talk about their thoughts on each of the disciplines. I got the book in the mail the same week my husband began a new ministry called Mighty Men - a ministry geared for fathers and sons grades 3rd through High school created to teach a core of 7 Godly principles to live by. As I read this book I kept going back to him saying "this is really good - you could use it with what you are doing". Thanks so much for the review copy Crossway Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment