Thursday, May 9, 2013

Fasting for a Miracle, Elmer L. Towns

This book is such a wonderfully easy and informative read. From the first page I could not put it down - I wanted to find out what the author was going to talk about next. I was pleasantly surprised at how much information this author put together regarding the different types of biblical fasts there are. I also enjoyed all the illustrations of these principles put into practice. Elmer Towns is a co-founder of Liberty University in Virginia. In this book Towns chronicles the miracles of prayer and fasting in the history of this renowned Christian university. I was amazed at how much his personal conviction of prayer and fasting and that of Jerry Falwell impacted the university. This book gives great history on the college but more so points to the power God grants to His children when they sincerely seek His face in prayer and fasting. Like, Towns, I am a Baptist - and often times fasting (and laying on of hands) is looked down upon or over-looked. I think that many people are afraid of the implications of fasting or feel that it is no longer necessary. This book lays these thoughts to rest by showing the meaning of and the importance of fasting through the Word of God. I appreciated this as many people have written books of their own beliefs on this discipline with out much biblical reference. The fact that Towns does this so thoroughly helps the reader to see fasting through the eyes of God himself. I would highly recommend this book to any Christian seeking a closer more meaningful walk with the Lord. If you are looking for a way to spend some intimate, amazing time with God this book is the one for you. I have read several books on fasting and this climbed to the top of my must have list for this subject. Thanks to Regal for this review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment