Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Christian Mom's Idea Book, Ellen Banks Elwell

Though this book is not deep on the Christian aspect of things it is filled with sound advice. I will say that it is not filled with completely secular wisdom and advice but it is shallow of deep biblical advice. As a stay at home, home schooling mom of five and a Pastor's wife I am always looking for good christian books to recommend to other mothers. This season of motherhood has especially trying moments that require a firm foundation in Christ. I received this book from a publisher that I usually receive homes school books from - so I was expecting the book to address some of the specific challenges that home school Christian moms face. Home schooling is unique to any other experience in life - for we are not only our children's mothers, but we are their source of education and biblical instruction as well. We are with our children 24 hours a day with little or no breaks. We do not fix breakfast to drive our children to school or to the bus stop to have them instructed by the government for 8 hours out of the day. Instead we are with them the entire time, and often times this requires extensive discipline and is tiring and discouraging at times. We long to have instruction and ideas, books that edify and build us up in this labor of love. Though I found the information and advice and ideas extremely useful I would lean more to recommend it to a mother who does not home school. I would acknowledge that although it is inspirational if you are looking for deep biblical teaching it is not here in these pages. All in all I enjoyed the book. It is one that I would give to a first time mother so that she has a good reference book of ideas. The author has produced an easily read book that is enjoyable and encouraging. A special thanks to Crossway Publishers for this review copy. www.crossway.org/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment