Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Promise, Dan Walsh, Gary Smalley

A counseling book in fiction form. I have not read the first book in this series so it was like stepping into the middle of a dysfunctional mess that you wish you knew a little more back history on to make it more enjoyable. I find it interesting that Smalley would tackle the fictional world when he is very successful at the non fiction side of things. And though I am normally a HUGE fan of Dan Walsh I will say this one is not one of my favorites that he has written. However, I will also say this - the story is written so real to life that it is at times hard to believe that this is fiction at all and not a reality story. The characters are vivid, transparent and extremely real to life. The subject I am sure will hit home to many readers and may in fact be the very reason that Smalley and Walsh combined their talents to write a series such as this. When so many people are held by pride, shame, indifference, or the desire to hide from their reality or deny it altogether they may be more apt to pick up a fictional book rather than the numerous counseling books of Smalley. I think this book will no doubt be a success and will quickly climb the charts as a number one. However, it is just not what I would normally choose as reading material. Thanks to the publisher for this review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment