Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chasing Superwoman, Susan M. Dimickle

Chasing SuperWoman
I will begin by saying I admire any woman that will devote herself to the task at writing a book in the midst of the busy season of motherhood.
That being said, I will also say that I have had this book read for several weeks and have had to do much praying and crucifying of the flesh before setting forth to publish a review.
I would never recommend this book to any woman I know – although I see that it has received many positive reviews. I found the author’s style aggressive and in your face – very much to the confirmation of the negative views of lawyers (she did her profession and God no good in her opening statements). She opens with a statement on page 14 that says the church “community operates under the assumption that the only women attending church are traditional stay-at-home moms who act llike the church lady and belong to the PTA”. In thirteen years of church ministry and as many years in the church I have not found this to be true (in the south, not only just the south but the BIBLE BELT, of the south). In fact I have found that often the stay-at-home mom is often treated with scorn and jealousy of their counterparts. Although I am a stay at home mom I was once a working mom and am keenly aware of the unique burden of these women. However, I wonder if it is considered sometime the unique burden of the stay-at-home mom who ends each day with all her work undone to be redone the next day: plodding through each sunrise to sundown doing tasks over and over with seemingly no end and seldom any recognition. Furthermore, I was deeply put off by the fact that just in the opening chapters it seems that the author is seeking to justify compromise in her Christian walk so as to complete her job where she must often use profanity(page 15). There is in my mind no separation from our lives at home and our lives in this world. We are called to be transformed not conformed, to walk set apart for the work of the Lord, not to do in public one thing and practice at home another, and put on a “church-lady” face and attitude of servitude on church days. Our faith and Christian ethics should dictate our every move, they should permeate our lives. It is said our God is a consuming fire, that he desires ALL our life. The choice remains: “Choose ye this day whom ye will serve/you can not serve to masters for you will love the one and hate the other” (taken from the old and new testements). I have never allowed the drive of success or ambition or the attaining of “power” to dictate my actions in such a way that I could not freely live out a vibrant faith in the work force. My highest goal was and is to be salt and light a reflection of Christ so that my children would see that God matters EVERYWHERE I set my foot, not just at home. That he is more that tradition and religion and a means to heaven – that he is real and living – that He is my God and Lord.
Such books do not promote a general peace and the bringing together of ALL mothers. Believe it or not this can happen. Our women often meet for a “mom” meeting where working and stay-at-home moms come together for prayer and bible study. Although we have unique needs we also have the same and our goal ultimately ought to be the same: Serve God, our Husbands, our Families, Our Church……then our Jobs in Christ for His glory alone.
Thank you B&B Communications for this book for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment