Friday, September 2, 2011

The Queen (Patrick Bowers Files Bk 5), Steven James

Fast-paced and intriguing. That is how I would describe this book. This is the first by this author that I have read so I am curious about books 1-4! I did have a little difficulty with keeping the "bad" guys straight since they were introduced with one name and then with different aliases. Other than that I loved it.

Patrick Bowers is an FBI agent who has had his share of tragedy and hardships. While on a case to find a serial killer he is pulled off to investigate what seems like a simple double murder/suicide. The local of this crime puts him near his brother and sister in-law. So not only will he be solving a crime that turns out to be deeper and more involved than first thought but he must also deal with some family issues that have been left too long buried and some secrets that threaten to rip apart the family at the seams. Add to this a love affair and a step-daughter who is dealing with her own demons after losing her father, mother and shooting a man and a mysterious villan by the name of Valkyrie and you have a nail-biting, page turning suspence that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last page.

Every time I thought I had the killers figured out and the plot - I turned the page to find I really did not have it figured out at all. The one thing that stuck in my head through-out the story is Bower's constant repeating that the truth could be hiding in plain sight - and so it was at the end. The answer was there all along - but none the less it was utterly shocking.

I would have to think from the way this one ended that there will be another addition to the Patrick Bowers Files - and I am all on board for the next adventure.

Thanks to Revell for this review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment