Saturday, February 26, 2011

Angel Sister, Ann H. Gabhart

I enjoy the writing style of Ann H. Gabhart her books are always very real to life. This one is no different. I did find it to be very slow to develop though, unlike some of her other books. I immediately liked the middle sister Kate Merritt, the spunky 14 year old determined to keep her family together. I will be honest in saying I was frustrated at the fact that the mother left that to this child, but a suppose this is also a true to life experience. My heart absolutely went out to the child who was taking on the responsibilities that her parents ought to have. I was also a little frustrated at the older sister who seemed more self-absorbed than any one.

The abandoned child, Lorena Birdson, who breaks into this crumbling family sets up the opportunity for true self-evaluation and change. The father, Victor, is brought face to face with his past. He must learn what God would have him to learn and to turn from his drunkenness. The mother also is brought about-face when this child comes in.

Truly a story of God's redemptive powers. Again, I thought it to be a little too slow moving for me. It was too easy for me to put down and make excuses not to pick back up. I found it a disappointment in comparison to Gabharts other books The Believer and The Seeker which were both very excellent in plot development and movement.

Thank you Revell for this review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment