Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Trusting God for Everything: Psalm 23, Jan Johnson

I absolutely loved this book. It was a discipline to set aside very quiet, undivided time to do this book (with five kids in the house). However, the benefits were amazing. This book is meant for a spiritual retreat, but this was not an option for me. Instead I set aside time for uninterrupted silence. In this time a I did the studies. To be honest at times I had to review the last one, because I felt that there was more to glean from the study. It is set up with a portion of the 23rd Psalm and then guided questions and other scriptures to help the reader think more about the significance of the section of the scriptures. I especially liked the questions because they made me stop and really think on the motives and deep parts of my heart. I spent much time turning more over to God - things until this study that I did not realize I still tried to hold on to or control. This book is a great study and I would recommend it to any person seeking a deeper and more meaningful relationship with God. It is short enough to do on a weekend retreat or to break into mini sessions of retreat and reflection. It is one that you will want to read over and over again - it will certainly not be a dust collector after one read.

Thank you NavPress for this review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment